Food - Family -Faith

Food - Family -Faith
Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Friday, September 14, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

This is a great recipe to make with left over baked potatoes. If you are having a meal that includes baked potatoes make extra then a day or two later you can make this soup for dinner or you can start with baking the potatoes first.



3 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp. butter, melted in pan
1 can evaporated milk
*I used skim
1 1/2 cups milk
8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 to 1 lb bacon cooked, cooled and crumbled

If you haven't already bake potatoes until done, cool and chop. I like to bake my bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven. Spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray, lay bacon single file on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees 15-20 minutes. For this recipe I like to get the bacon good a crispy, but don't overcook it. While bacon is cooking, saute onion in melted butter over low heat until translucent. Put lid on pan to help keep moist and keep onions from burning. Chop potatoes and add after onion is clear. Add evaporated milk and milk. Cook on low heat until milk and potatoes are heated through about 20-30 minutes. Make sure to keep on low heat and stir occasionally to keep from sticking and from curdling the milk. Do not cook on high. Add cheese, stir til melted. Add sour cream and cook a few more minutes to bring heat back up. Add crumbled bacon last. Stir all together and serve, If you have leftovers and wish to reheat it, it would be best to heat it on the stove over low heat as the microwave gets it too hot and causes the milk to curdle.

Enjoy,

Deborah
http://DeborahHBateman.com




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! This soup sounds wonderful. I love the suggestion of making extra baked potatoes to use later in the soup.
    www.fromharvesttotable.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am so happy I found your blog! Your recipes are amazing! I am going to make this potato soup tomorrow!

    Have a wonderful and blessed day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that sounds so good, especially on a chilly rainy day. How nice would it be to come home to a bowl of that? Will definitely have to give this one a try. Have a great day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete