I want to welcome my friend, Shelley Hitz to Recipe for Life. Shelley has embarked on a new adventure of eating in a more healthy way. I asked her to share her story with you. I also wanted to let you know about her new book: Ultimate Guide to Vegetarian Cooking.
Our Turning PointTo be honest, my husband and I were not the picture of health in the early years of our marriage. After tying the knot on August 15, 1998 we then proceeded to take in many meals consisting of Tuna Helper, frozen pizza and Lucky Charms.
And I’m not proud of that fact.
I knew better. And yet I was too busy in my career to take the time to learn how to cook healthy meals for our family.
However, we hit a turning point.
Cancer Hit Both of Our FamiliesYep…the dreaded “C” word.
My husband, CJ’s, mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Plus, my husband had gained over 40 pounds and was not happy about his weight gain (and his protruding belly).
Around the same time, our church hosted a health class based on a book by Stormie Omartian, “Greater Health God’s Way.” As we listened to Tina and Rachael, our friends who taught the class, share their amazing stories of how changing their diet completely turned their lives and their health around, we were intrigued.
And So Our Journey Began
They say that information empowers. And it does.
Once we watched documentaries like, “Food Inc.” and “Forks Over Knives” we were convinced that eating a primarily vegetarian diet and increasing the amount of fruits and veggies in our diet was going to be our way of life.
My husband has since lost over 40 pounds and is running faster than he did in high school. And I have finally realized the importance of cooking a healthy meal for my family.
And Now I Want to Share WhatI’m the type of person that feels compelled to share what I’ve learned. Especially something of value. That’s why I have a website and books for teen girls. That’s why I have a website and products on how to self publish books. And that’s why I have written vegetarian cookbooks.
I’m Learning With Others
My primary motivation is to help others.
I know that eating a healthy diet can make a huge difference in your life and the life of your family. By eating more fruits and vegetables and eating less meat, research has proven that you can prevent cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and many other illnesses.
It’s truly amazing.
Overcoming Obstacles in LifeI know what it’s like to overcome obstacles in my life. Not just in regards to my health, but also my finances, fitness and family life.
- I know what it’s like to have over $70,000 of consumer debt plus a $100,000 mortgage and feel hopeless of ever getting out.
- I know what it’s like to be so out of shape that I felt like I couldn’t breathe after jogging only one measly mile.
- I know what it’s like to feel helpless as I watched my dad lay in a hospital bed in a coma for 8 weeks and wonder if he would ever wake up.
- I also know what it’s like to live beneath our means and use the “debt snowball” effect (thanks Dave Ramsey) to finally be out of consumer debt. What an amazing feeling to be debt free!!
- I also know what it’s like to finish my first half marathon (and probably my last). I learned to push through the pain, to train hard and to enjoy that feeling of crossing over the finish line.
- I also know what it’s like to see my dad open his eyes for the first time and take his first steps after a severe brain injury.
What Does This Have to DoAnything worth having in life takes dedication and sacrifice…paying off debt, finishing a half marathon and working hard in rehab everyday are just a few examples.
With Vegetarian Cooking?
And so, as you decide to venture into cooking some vegetarian recipes or taking the plunge to eat primarily vegetarian (or vegan), it will take dedication and sacrifice.
- It will take time to plan out your meals and do grocery shopping.
- It will take dedication to eat healthy even when your friends and family don’t.
- But, it will be worth it.
You and your family are worth it.And I’m cheering you on and providing delicious AND nutritious vegetarian recipes that you’ll love and actually use.
Thanks for joining me in this journey!
Shelley Lynne, best-selling author of “The Ultimate Guide to Vegetarian Cooking”